Search Results

Anti-Slavery Arch: Stroud

On the corner of the Paganhill Estate in Stroud, Gloucestershire stands an Arch, the only memorial of its type left in Britain, to the Abolition of Slavery in the British Colonies. It was built in 1834 as the grand entrance to a Georgian mansion, Farmhill Park, by its new owner Henry Wyatt. The house, carriage drive and gates are gone, leaving the classical arch with its diminutive lodge house.

The website has useful information on the history of the anti-slavery movement in the region.

Location: Gloucestershire

Suitable for age : Any

Contacts

Name:
Address:



Tel:


Visit website »

copyright © Runnymede Trust and individual authors.